Charitable Lead Trusts

Do you want to benefit from the tax savings that result from supporting HFHTC, yet you don’t want to give up any assets that you’d like your family to receive someday? You can have it both ways with a charitable lead trust.

You give assets to a trust that pays our organization set payments for a number of years, which you choose. The longer the length of time, the better the gift tax savings to you. When the term is up, the remaining trust assets go to you, your family or other beneficiaries you select. This is an excellent way to transfer property to family members at a minimal cost.

There are two ways charitable lead trusts make payments:

A charitable lead annuity trust pays a fixed amount each year to HFHTC and is more attractive when interest rates are low.

A charitable lead unitrust pays a variable amount each year based on the value of the assets in the trust. With a unitrust, if the trust’s assets go up in value, for example, the payments to HFHTC go up as well.


You can use the following assets to fund a charitable lead trust:

    • Cash
    • Appreciated Securities
    • Closely Held Stock
    • Real Estate

Next Steps

    1. Contact Habitat for Humanity of Teller County at 719-687-4447 or for additional information on charitable lead trusts or to chat more about the personal benefits of creating a trust with HFHTC.
    2. Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
    3. If you name HFHTC in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.

Legal Name: Habitat for Humanity of Teller County

Physical Address: 720 W US 24 (Lower Level), Woodland Park, CO, 80866

Physical Address: PO Box 339, Woodland Park, CO, 80866
Federal Tax ID Number: 84-1513509

The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. Figures cited in examples are for hypothetical purposes only and are subject to change. References to estate and income taxes include federal taxes only. State income/estate taxes or state law may impact your results.